On July 1, Jumpstart Wilmington hosted a reception celebration honoring the 2020/2021 program participants. The first three cohorts saw 47 emerging developers complete the intensive four-week program.
Cinnaire launched Jumpstart Wilmington in 2020 to encourage Wilmington residents build wealth and become developers of their own neighborhoods through quality, community-focused real estate development training. At the July 1 event at Tonic Restaurant, more than 30 graduates of the first three cohorts gathered to hear remarks from featured speakers, celebrate program completion and begin collaborating together on future projects.
Dionna J. Sargent, Vice President, Community Development at Cinnaire, hosted the event, introducing the slate of speakers, including Ken Weinstein, founder of Jumpstart Philadelphia; Mike Purzycki, Mayor of Wilmington; and representatives from of the Jumpstart Wilmington cohorts.
- Keynote Speaker Ken Weinstein, Founder and CEO of Jumpstart Germantown
- Michael S. Purzycki, Mayor of Wilmington: Revitalizing Neighborhoods in Wilmington
- Marcus Thomas, May 2021 Cohort: The Jumpstart Experience
- Brandon Jones, February 2021 Cohort: Lessons Learned
- Cordaro Rhodes, October 2020 Cohort and Azeez Weeks, Cinnaire: Leveraging Your Mentor
- Yemina Israel, May 2021 Cohort: The Power of Collaboration
Dionna Sargent along with the team from University of Delaware’s Biden School of Public Policy and Administration presented participants with Jumpstart Wilmington certificates of completion.
Graduates of the training program are paired up with mentors to support them as they pursue development projects. Learning for the emerging developers continues through participation in monthly Kickstart sessions featuring experienced development professionals sharing perspective and insight on the development process in Wilmington.
The next Jumpstart Wilmington cohort begins in August. 2021 sessions are full, but the application process for 2022 cohorts will open in August.